It’s truly different
- Startect is the first new class of drench to be released in combination to better protect itself against resistance from the beginning.3
- Startect combines derquantel (10 mg/mL), a revolutionary new active ingredient, with the established potency of abamectin (1 mg/mL).
- Startect’s built-in protection against worm resistance is called Pro-Active Dual Drench Technology.
- Unlike all classes before it, derquantel won’t be exposed as a single-active drench meaning resistance will be significantly delayed.3,4
Two modes of action make it work differently to anything else to kill all the major production-limiting worms, including those that are resistant to other drenches.5
For more on Startect’s two modes of action click on the ‘VIDEO’ at http://www.startect.com.au/Difference/DesignedToBeDifferent
- 28 day ESI (Export Slaughter Interval) keeps trading flexibility and speed to market in your operation.2
- When used routinely it also prolongs the useful life of the older and more fragile drenches in your program, leaving you with more viable drench options in future.6
- Dosing rate is simple at 1 mL per 5 kg.
Proven in realistic local conditions
- Startect was extensively road tested across Australia in over 200 farm trials, delivering 99% efficacy against the major production-limiting worms.7
- This included areas facing significant drench resistance, so you can be confident that it works even where other drenches are failing.
To see how Startect and other drenches performed in your area click through to ‘REGIONS’ at: http://www.startect.com.au/ProvenInAustralia/BackedBySolidScience
Fitting Startect into Your Program
Startect can be used every time an effective short-acting drench is required.
By installing it as the cornerstone drench in your program your operation will start gaining the significant benefits on offer.
For information from leading parasitologists on drenching in your local area go to:
- Safe to use in pregnant and lactating ewes
- Do not use in lambs weighing less than 15 kg or those under 6 weeks of age
- Do not use in goats, horses or any species other than sheep
Sheep may cough following treatment. This passing response is of no consequence. Studies have shown that Startect is safe to use in breeding animals.
Startect is the first new class of drench to be released in combination to…
- Protect its new actives against resistance from day one
- Prolong the useful life of older drenches6
- Progress your farm by improving sustainability1
Get Startect into your program today.
Startect is the newest addition to the Zoetis sheep health portfolio that also includes Glanvac®, Eryvac®, Gudair® and Scabiguard®.
Detailed Product Information2
- Export Slaughter Interval (ESI): Do not use less than 28 days before slaughter for export.
- Meat Withhold: Do not use less than 14 days before slaughter for human consumption.
- Re-treatment Interval: Do not re-treat for 28 days after last treatment.
- Milk Withhold: Do not use in female sheep which are producing or may in the future produce milk or milk products for human consumption.
Startect treats and controls of a broad range of susceptible adult and immature gastrointestinal nematodes of sheep, including those resistant to levamisole, benzimidazoles, macrocyclic lactones and closantel.
Startect is effective against adult and immature (L4) stages of sensitive strains of the following internal parasites, including those resistant to levamisole (LEV), benzimidazoles (BZ), macrocyclic lactones (ML) and closantel (CLOS):
Barber’s pole worm Haemonchus contortus; Stomach hair worm Trichostrongylus axei; Small brown stomach worm Teladorsagia (Ostertagia) circumcincta including inhibited (L4) stages, T. trifurcata; Black scour worm Trichostrongylus colubriformis, T. vitrinus; Small intestinal worm Cooperia curticei, C. oncophora, C. surnabada; Thin-necked intestinal worm Nematodirus spathiger*; Intestinal threadworm Strongyloides papillosus; Large bowel worm Oesophagostomum venulosum*; Large mouthed bowel worm Chabertia ovina*; Whipworm Trichuris ovis*; Lungworm Dictyocaulus filaria. (* adults only).
Startect was demonstrated to be effective against multi-resistant strains of Haemonchus contortus (LEV, BZ, ML and CLOS) and Teladorsagia circumcincta and Trichostrongylus colubriformis (both LEV, BZ and ML).
1 mL per 5kg bodyweight. Dose by mouth.
Dose mL per Sheep
5L Container Treats
15L Container Treats
20L Station Pack Treats
Animals in excess of 75 kg to be dosed at 1 mL per 5 kg.
A representative sample of animals should be weighed before treatment.
Dose the mob to the heaviest animal by liveweight in each group (ewes, wethers, rams, lambs). Do not underdose.
Where there is a large variation in size within the group, dose rate should be based on the label directions for each weight range. Drafting into two or more lines may be appropriate, to avoid excessive overdosing.
Store below 30°C (room temperature). Do not expose to temperatures below 0°C. Discard product that separates or contains sediment following exposure to temperatures below 0°C. Protect from direct sunlight.
Considerations and Restraints
- The safety of Startect has not been established in lambs less than 6 weeks of age or less than 15 kg bodyweight.
- Startect is very toxic to horses. Do not use in horses or species other than sheep.
- Use a drench gun with silicone sealed ‘o’ rings. It is recommended you use the Startect ST 20mL Drench Gun when using Startect.
- Estimate liveweights carefully to avoid overdosing.
- Shake the container before use.
- Startect is toxic to aquatic life. Do not contaminate dams, rivers or streams with the product or used container.
Safe Use Recommendations
Startect may irritate the skin so avoid contact with the skin.
When opening the container and using the product, wear cotton overalls buttoned to the neck and wrist (or equivalent clothing) and elbow-length chemical-resistant gloves.
After use and before eating, drinking or smoking, wash hands, arms and face thoroughly with soap and water. After each day’s use wash contaminated clothing.
If poisoning occurs, contact a doctor or Poisons Information Centre. Phone Australia 131126.
Additional information is in the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) that can be downloaded by clicking the above link.
Triple rinse containers before disposal. Dispose of rinsate or any undiluted chemical according to State legislative requirements. If not recycling, break, crush, or puncture and deliver empty packaging to an approved waste management facility. Do not burn empty containers or product.
For more information on Startect please contact your local Zoetis representative or for general enquiries call 1800 963 847, for technical enquiries call 1800 814 883 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Little PR, Hodge A, Maeder SJ et al. Efficacy of a combined oral formulation of derquantel-abamectin against the adult and larval stages of nematodes in sheep, including anthelmintic resistant strains. Veterinary Parasitology 2011; 181: 180–93. 2. Startect Product Label, 2014. 3. Leathwick, Vet Parasitology (2012). Modelling the benefits of a new class of anthelmintic in combination. 4. Bartram et al, Vet Parasitol (2012). The role of combination anthelmintic formulations in the sustainable control of sheep nematodes. 5. Little et al, Vet Parasitol (2011). Efficacy of a combined oral formulation of derquantel-abamectin against the adult and larval stages of nematodes in sheep, including anthelmintic resistant strains. 6. Leathwick DM, Waghorn TS, Miller CM, Candy PM, Oliver A-MB (2012), Managing anthelmintic resistance – use of a combination anthelmintic and leaving some lambs untreated to slow the development of resistance to ivermectin. Veterinary Parasitology 187: 285-294. 7. Zoetis Data on File, 2015.
- Sheep / Goat
- Belgium (French)
- Belgium (Dutch)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States
You are leaving the country website to access another site in the group.
Regulatory constraints and medical practices vary from country to country. Consequently, the information provided on the site in which you enter may not be suitable for use in your country.